Thursday, June 18, 2009

Are you working in a ministry or is your work your ministry?

Working in a ministry place is almost always frustrating because our expectations are hardly ever met. Rather it almost seems like people around us are only trying to make life difficult. And rightly so i should say...

Are you rolling your eyes right now? Well, but that is the truth! The good Lord never promised us an easy life. Instead, he did warn us that we would be ridiculed, mocked and persecuted for His sake (Mt 10: 17-23). We're warned against storing up riches for ourselves while preaching His Word (Mt 10: 6-10); or even falling into the trap of keeping our confidence in our earnings (Mt 6: 24-34; 10: 27-31). We're warned that our own family will go against us when we follow Him (Mt 10: 34-36); that we ought not to be hypocrites (Mt 6: 2-6; 7: 3-7). He redefined the meaning of sin to encompass most things we care not twice about (Mt 5: 22-42) and taught us what love should mean (Mt 5: 43-48) and is in giving His life on the cross of Calvary that we might live. He never promised us the easy life. Rather He did tell us to brace ourselves up to follow Him (Mt 16: 24-26). So what is the most demotivating factor for you to stop serving Him and moving away from the center of His plan for your life today?

My personal experience has been my constant disappointments with people; either not doing what they ought to or doing what they ought not to, well either ways making my life difficult. But i'm reminded that my own family will turn against me when i'm following Him; what better can i then expect from anybody else? The second driving factor for me was always the riches and glamor of this world, the comforts i would like to give my family. Again i'm reminded of the fact that even Solomon was not clothed as richly as the grass in the field (Mt 6: 29). And there i rest my case that things are not happening for my family and me; for i have nothing further to find fault with.

My brother, my sister, my friend - if you feel you are really suffering in your work place, large chances are you are in the center of His will for your life. I'm reminded of this little quote, that does sum up our daily christian life very aptly:
Come work for the Lord. The work is hard, the hours are long and the pay is low. But the retirement benefits are out of this world. They should probably tell you this while you are applying to the ministry place huh? ;-)

So, ARE YOU WORKING IN A MINISTRY PLACE OR is your work your ministry?

P.S - I'm not denying the fact that ministry places are where you get taken for granted as a person more than anywhere else. Stand up for what is right and what you ought to get. Only remember that you are a christian and that there is a very thin line between voicing your concerns with God on your side and being overpowered by your emotions and lashing out all by yourself.
Share:

0 comments: